Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Department of Speech, Language, and Hearing Sciences (SLHS) is committed to fostering diversity in all aspects of the department, from education to research to clinical services and training.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Committee
The department’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) Committee develops department-wide practices of equity mindedness and inclusivity in order to support increased diversity in the fields of speech, language, and hearing.
Our most recent accomplishments include:
- SLHS voted to add the new diversity chair for the National Student Speech-Language-Hearing Association (NSSLHA) to the department DEI committee in order to increase the representation of undergraduate, MA, Au.D., and Ph.D. students.
- The department became an institutional member of the Northeast Alliance for Speech Language and Hearing.
- We established a department bulletin board for DEI-related information and updates, which will be monitored by the NSSLHA diversity chair and student workers.
- Jennifer Mozeiko was selected by the Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders (CAPCSD) to attend their Admissions Summit, which seeks to “bring together faculty members who are interested in deepening their knowledge of holistic review procedures for Communication Science Disorders (CSD) graduate admissions processes.”
- Christine Njuki was selected by CAPSCD to attend their DEI Academy, which “seeks to develop knowledge and skills related to DEI issues specific to CSD and to equip individuals to facilitate conversations within their programs as well as at other institutions.”
- The committee is collecting University and external resources for faculty on DEI-related issues in our profession for self study.
For more information, please contact the committee chair.
- Adrián Garcia-Sierra, Ph.D. (Chair)
- Nicole Gallagher, MA, CCC-SLP
- Sirrah Galligan, MS
- Audra Giugno ’23 (CLAS), NSSLHA Diversity Chair
- Christine Njuki, Au.D., CCC-A
- Jennifer Tufts, Ph.D.
UConn is an institutional participant in the Northeast Alliance of Speech, Language, and Hearing (NEASLH). An affiliate of the National Black Speech Language Hearing Association, NEASLH promotes the interests of Black CSD professionals, students, and consumers. UConn’s affiliation with the organization gives SLHS students free access to participate in NEASLH activities and committee membership.
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- National Black Association for Speech-Language and Hearing (NBASLH)
- Northeast Alliance for Speech Language and Hearing (NBASLH affiliate)
- Asian Pacific Islander Speech-Language-Hearing Caucus
- Audiologists With Hearing Loss