Graduate Financial Support

Students can apply to several opportunities to help cover the cost of their graduate education. Funding sources may include graduate assistantships, scholarships, loans, grants, and work-study. Learn about UConn’s resources below, and find out more about financial aid on the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association’s website.

UConn Resources

Research and Teaching Assistantships

Many faculty members in the department receive research or training grants from a variety of funding sources. If the faculty member budgeted for one or more assistants in the grant proposal, and if it was approved by the granting agency, then the principal faculty member is responsible for selecting the graduate student to fill each appointment.

Need-Based Financial Aid

Citizens or permanent residents of the United States may apply for need-based financial aid, which includes Federal Stafford Loans (FSL), Federal Work-Study, and the University of Connecticut Tuition Remission Grant. You must complete an additional form not included in the online or paper application to apply for need-based aid.

The required application for need-based aid is the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Renewal FAFSA. Application materials should be available on or after December 15. You can also file an electronic FAFSA on the web. For more information on FAFSA, visit the UConn financial aid website.

Need-based financial aid deadlines are March 1 for continuing UConn graduate students and May 1 for entering UConn graduate students. The FAFSA must be received and logged in at the Federal Processor on or before the published deadline date. On-time status will not be determined by postmark dates or postage receipts. Priority for the awarding of Federal Work Study as well as University of Connecticut Tuition Remission funds will be reserved for applicants who comply with the above deadlines. Applications received after the deadline will be considered for Federal Stafford Loans only.

Short-Term Emergency Loan Fund

The Dean of Students Office administers Short-Term Emergency Loans that can help graduate students who have encountered unforeseen financial difficulties that pose a hardship to their student status. Students must be currently registered and degree-seeking to be eligible.

More Funding Opportunities


Graduate students may receive financial support from a variety of outside sources in the form of scholarships. The support, which is offered on a competitive basis, may come from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, state organizations, and private organizations. The department provides graduate students with application information as opportunities are advertised. Please check the student board and your UConn email on a regular basis for more information.

Connecticut Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities

The Connecticut Leadership Education in Neurodevelopmental and Related Disabilities (CT LEND) program focuses on the training of future leaders from a wide variety of professional disciplines, including audiology and SLHS, in order to improve the health care delivery system for children with autism and other neurodevelopmental disabilities.

Learn more and apply to the program.

Private Loans

You can find deadline calendars, guides for choosing a private loan, and specific information for financing your graduate education via the following two sites: